Tuesday 4 October 2011

Brian Dettmer

Brian Dettmer is an artist that I looked at last year for one of my essays. He finds old hardback books with illustrations inside them, then cuts away the front cover and pages to uncover them. 

Wagnalls Wheel, 2010, Altered Set of Encyclopedias, 9" x 20-1/2" x 20-1/2" - Image Courtesy of the Artist and Toomey Tourell Fine Art


whilst I was researching in the library for my new project, (I was looking at bird skulls) I came across this:





Dead Bird, 2005, Altered Cassette Tape, 6"(h) x 9"(w) x 1.5"(d) - Image Courtesy of the Artist and Packer Schopf





Ram Skull, 2007, Altered Cassette Tapes, 9" x 17" x 13" - Image Courtesy of the Artist and Kinz + Tillou Fine Art





Bull Skull, 2007, Altered Cassette Tapes, 22" x 17-1/2" x 14-1/2" - Image Courtesy of the Artist and MiTO Gallery







Elk Skull, 2007, Altered Cassette Tapes, 38" x 40" x 24" - Image Courtesy of the Artist and Toomey Tourell Fine Art

I have a fascination with mounted animal heads but because it's not very PC any more people are coming 
up with more interesting ways to create them, like making them out of pieces of wood that you slot together
but these are by for the most intriguing and interesting to look at. 

No comments:

Post a Comment